ASSI Stories: A multimedia project for Australian South Sea Islanders to explore identity, heritage & story.
WHAT IS THE ASSI STORIES PROJECT?
The Australian South Sea Islander Stories (ASSI Stories) project is about storytelling, education and awareness.
In 2014, ASSI community members were invited to attend storytelling and media workshops in Brisbane, to learn how to turn their story into a short film. At the end of the project, the films produced by project participants were presented in a public screening event at The Edge, State Library of Queensland in Brisbane.
A Facebook page (www.facebook.com/assistories) and website documented the process of workshops, discussions and filming in various Queensland towns with seven participants writing and directing their own short films.
This website showcase the works created and acts as a platform share Australian South Sea Islander Stories online.
The ASSI Stories project is funded by the Australian Council for the Arts.
THE ASSI STORIES PROJECT AIMS:
• to give voice to Australian South Sea Islander Stories;
• to provide ASSI community members with opportunities to learn media production skills;
• to create online educational resources through the stories produced & the project website;
• to share ASSI Stories with the broader community;
• to connect ASSI people and communities offline and online through the Facebook Page, and project website.
• ASSIS Inc: www.assis.org.au
• ASSIS YouTube – ASSI Video Stories: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDgXFCQfo2qUUQDEBvyBMtQ
• Watch the ASSI Stories films online: www.assistories.com/videos
• Creative Producer: www.amiebatalibasi.com
Contact ASSI Stories Creative Producer: